Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"What Is a Grade?" by Pat Belanoff

     Grades are not easily defined, especially in English and writing classes. While the difference between an A and B might be clear cut in a science or math class, grades get much trickier in a more subjective class, such as English. This article explains many of the difficulties that English teachers face when grading papers, and discusses how to improve the system.
     In this article, author Pat Belanoff describes many of the issues with the traditional grading  system, especially in regards to English and writing classes. She explains the traditional view that says that a student receives a grade depending on what he/she learned, meaning that A students learned more than B students and so on. However, problems arise in English classes because every student writes differently, and different teachers look for different things, meaning that grades mean less. Belanoff says that grades are all subjective to the material, the way in which the student interprets it, and the person who grades it. Because of this, she argues that a teacher must embrace the subjectivity of a teachers' given subject and grade relative to these differences rather than comparing them to the prototypical 'A' paper. Also, she argues that a grade truly is meaningless if a teacher does not first describe to the students what his/her standards for grading are. Finally, she states that the problems that students tackle in their writing classes are more like the real world than the problems in a typical math class; there is usually no clear answer or clear path to success. Students must realize what their grades are based on and that a grade on one of their papers is not a sweeping judgment on all of their writing.
     Much of what Belanoff wrote in this article stood out to me because I have experienced it all before in the various writing classes that I have taken over the years. There were many times in my high school english classes when I received a lower grade because I did not fully understand the teacher's standards for grading. I was frustrated, because it seemed as though my teachers were more interested in making me conform to their standards than truly teaching me how to write. However, Belanoff says that when a student takes a teacher's standards into consideration, it is the same idea as tuning into an audience and that students can then "decide whether to play to it or whether to try to influence these standards themselves" (216). While a certain amount of conformity is almost required in any application of English, a person can still find ways to be creative within those established boundaries.

Have you had issues with the way that a teacher has graded your work in the past? What changes would you make to the grading scale?

8 comments:

  1. I have had issues with grading in the past where I felt like I deserved a higher grade, and many of these issues have arisen from me not understanding fully what the teacher was looking for. I think that although teachers have the power to enforce their standards and make students write papers the way the teacher wants, they also need to take into account content, differences in writing style, and so on before grading a paper. You shouldn't get a lower grade for a paper just because it is different than the teacher would have written it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies




    1. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere, after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover comes back to me, indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours, my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again, 3 months later we got engaged and married, if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me, his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346












































































































































































      hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matuganan si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sakin ng mas masg 48 now, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email:
      AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

      Delete
  2. I agree with Matt in the sense that students shouldn't get a lower grade because they wrote the paper differently than how the teacher would have wrote it. I also think that teachers need to embrace different writing styles and focus more on content than the style when grading papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well that i have had some issues with grading in an English class and I thought i deserved a higher grade than i actually received. Teachers should lay out exactly what they expect from you in the class and tell the students what their standards are for grading. Then the student will know exactly what they have to do to get the grade they want. Some changes that should be made is for the teacher to tell the students specifically what they expect and it they do that, they will get the appropriate grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This topic is of particular importance to me being an English major. While I know that my writing has much room for improvement, there have sill been many times when subjectivity has severely hurt my grades. There have been many times when I received a grade lower than what I expected or lower than what I thought I should have gotten. I think that teachers need to realize that there are many different styles of writing, and students should not be penalized with low grades (if the content is good) for simply being expressive and creative with their style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've received a grade that I did not agree with from an English instructor. In the past English professors are actually the most understanding of instructors that I've met, usually explaining why they believe an assignment was worth a B instead of an A and then detailing how to improve on it. I do believe it can be stressful not knowing what an A paper looks like before writing it but with writing there is usually a rough draft period and time to make adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that because many have been taught in such different ways, which would make writing styles vary, teachers should be somewhat lenient in grading. For the most part, I haven't really had issues with grading in the past. I did have a teacher who graded our papers based on how it compared with others in the class, when written on a similar topic. I don't believe that is fair. I think what's important and what would help alleviate issues in grading would be if a teacher were really clear when setting standards on how they base their grades/grading scale. Also, being specific in what you should include, how your writing style should be, etc. Although teachers should be flexible in grading, I do agree with you that a certain amount of conformity is required, but that can only be achieved when both the student and teacher are clear on what is expected.

    ReplyDelete





  7. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere, after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover comes back to me, indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours, my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again, 3 months later we got engaged and married, if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me, his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346












































































































































































    hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matuganan si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sakin ng mas masg 48 now, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email:
    AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete